Saturday, July 15, 2017

Reasons I Have Decided to Homeschool Forever and Ever Amen


I posted a question on my facebook about the pros and cons of both public schooling and home schooling. It got a little hairy scary but I also understood both angles of the discussion. This year I thought he might like to go to public school for a last hoorah to the elementary years. This was a HARD decision and we wanted to do what we thought was (and still do) for him. After discussing it, praying about it (which by the way was answered by it being okay either way), and then ultimately talking to the upcoming 5th grader about it. He said that he didn't really want to go but it was up to us as his parents to make the final decision. 



We take his feelings seriously and always want him to know that we value his feelings and thoughts. We were still leaning toward public school UNTIL I read online some information about the school he was going to attend. Long story short, we don't care for him to enjoy his last year of elementary school being taught just for the state test (which they were bragging about on the main webpage) and having HOURS of homework almost every evening, this was according to someone whose child is in the same grade as him that attends the school. Not really much time for play and unstructured learning!


  I feel so sorry for these kids having to have the stress a senior in high school feels! It really truly isn't fair but I do also understand that every family is different and can't homeschool for all sorts of reasons. I am so grateful that I am able to stay at home to do this. I work at home for my parents business and we stay out of debt so that we aren't burdened with the stress of trying to make ends meet while I am home with John Arlie. These years can't be redone. There is only one chance I get to raise my kiddo. I don't want to miss a day of it! I know one day I will miss this!


I have been looking at techniques I want to utilize and found what I think is GOLD. It's a lot of hands on, less textbook/workbook and more real life experiences with science, history, and literature studies. I am so super excited to take this road of homeschooling, one I wish I had done from the very start. I feel so right about this shift that for once in our six years of homschooling, I am EXCITED to start school! I can't wait to see how all this unfolds. 



So here's to another year of homeschooling....forever and ever amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment