Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Funeral

Funerals are always kinda sad.  I don't particularly like to go (I don't think anyone does.  If they do, then that's weird).  When I was a kid I refused to go.  My parents didn't make me.  Since having to grow up and be an adult I have had to do a lot of uncomfortable things.  Things that will and have made me stronger in the end.  Recently, I helped dress my Grandmother after she passed away.  I was very nervous about this but I can tell you this, there is no spirit left in the body after a person passes on.  The spirit is in Heaven and it is as clear as day.  There is no longer a fear that has always haunted me about death.  The little inkling of "what if" stuff that comes to the surface isn't there anymore.  My Grandmother wrote about death in her journal and she pretty much wrote her own eulugy many years ago. It was read at the funeral.  She had such a testimony of the Gospel, of Jesus Christ, of The Plan of Salvation.  The song "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need"  was played at the funeral.  It pierced my heart and was exactly how my Grandma felt and how I feel. 


My Shepherd Will Supply My Need
My Shepherd will supply my need
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy's sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death,
Thy presence is my stay;
A word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.
Grandma as a little girl


1 comment:

  1. We will always remember her and her great personality & giving heart! it was a beautiful service and I am glad you are over your fear of death, too.

    ReplyDelete